The Chrysalis Project
Changing demographics mean that many of the residents at Jubilee Women’s Center are now facing more challenging barriers to self-sufficient living. Age, disability, extreme trauma, or complex conditions affect many women at Jubilee.
To better serve these women in the spirit of our mission and values, Jubilee launched The Chrysalis Project. The project creates an opportunity for women who are unable to pursue a more traditional employment path to build self-confidence, skills, values and independence as well as supplement their income by participating in a social purpose program.
“The Chrysalis Project honors the fact that success looks different for each woman,” says Cheryl Sesnon, executive director of Jubilee Women’s Center. “Even those who are unable to pursue a traditional job can build connections, skills and confidence for a fulfilling future on an alternative path.”
“Made with hope, dreams and a vision for a new beginning by women emerging from their past and creating a better future.”
The Chrysalis Project unfolds over nine months. During the first three-month block, the women focus on working as a group to develop and launch a product. They proceed through a prescribed curriculum on topics ranging from defining your business, to showcasing your products. The conclusion of the first quarter is celebrated with an open house to create community awareness and generate support for the women’s work.
During the second and third quarters, the women work individually on a product of their choice using the skills and training developed during the first quarter. At this time, the women are encouraged to create a product they can sell in the local marketplace. Eighty percent of proceeds benefit the women selling the products and 20% of proceeds are reinvested into the program.
Tasty and convenient soup, sauce and dessert mixes you can make at home with just a few staples in your fridge:
- Three Bean Barley Soup with Cornbread, $12.95
- Black Bean Soup with Cornbread, $12.95
- Spicy Peanut Sauce, $14.95
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread, $14.95
- Cranberry Hootycreeks Cookies, $14.95
- Rocky Road Brownies, $14.95
The Chrysalis Project is also an opportunity to create partnerships with outside community members to share talent, resources, guidance and encouragement with the women in the program. Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Teach a class, host a workshop, tell us how you grew your business
- Work with women one-to-one to teach or refine a skill
- Share market space or other distribution channels
- Help us connect with potential community partners for co-marketing or co-branding opportunities
- Spread the word about our social purpose project
- Purchase our products for yourself and as gifts
- Make a financial contribution or an in-kind donation
The Chrysalis Project in the News
For more information about The Chrysalis Project, to get involved, or to purchase products, contact 206.957.5511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.